Saturday, June 11, 2011

Guilty Pleasures

Well its been three months or so since my last post.  The things that keep me from posting here have been numerous and one of those things leads me to the topic at hand.  I was thinking this morning (I do that on occasion) and it struck me how every now and then a believer will use the term "guilty pleasure".  I think I heard it in Sunday school recently and it stirred in me this thought of how often do what we allow our guilty pleaures to get in the way of our whole hearted devotion to the Lord Jesus Christ.  If you are not a follower of the Lord then this sounds silly to you and you may even be thinking thats one good reason I won't follow.  Because it seems hypocritical to say I follow Christ who calls us to a full, wholehearted surrender and yet love to take part in "worldly" things.  "Take up your cross and follow me" is one thing He tells His followers.  Yet, how often do I and so many other believers take up our cross only to set it down in those moments of adhering to those guilty pleasures we choose to take part in.  Now don't be mistaken I am as guilty as anyone and more besides of taking time to indulge myself in those things I love that I don't need.  I read once that Jonathan Edwards a great father of faith spent an average of 13 hours a day in the Word of God and in prayer as he walked with the Father.  That doesn't leave much time for "guilty pleasure".  I read also that he would spend the rest of his waking time then with his children and family.  I do good to spend that many hours a week sometimes in the Word and prayer.  Lord I pray that the next time I indulge in a pleasure that it is you in which I indulge.  For in indulging myself in Him I will find much more peace than can be found in the television, internet, or any other "guilty pleasure" I may desire.  In Christ there is no guilt and indulging in Him there is only pleasure.  God bless

In Christ,
Phillip James Gilmore

No comments:

Post a Comment